Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Everything has a story...

Well, what a week!! Tuesday and Wednesday I spent most of the days getting the house ready to go on the market. The realtor came over and took pictures on Wednesday night. The house officially went on the market on Friday. I left with the kids and headed "home" to attend my Grandma's estate sale. I needed to do a final run-through of all the stuff before strangers came to buy. It was a bit more emotional than I thought it would be...just seeing strangers buying things. I found myself telling people "take good care of that table now...", or "oh, that was the music box she liked best", or "that sat on her hutch for the longest time...". Everything has a story. I found myself reminiscing more and more as the days wore on. It was sort of a sad day. So final. If I had room I would have taken more, but am sure that my DH would have not been happy with me bringing a antique table and rocking chair home, when we are trying to pack up the stuff we already have...

A picture of the above mentioned rocking chair--this was Bug's Great-Great Grandmother's rocking chair (my Mom kept the "prized" rocking chair). I would have loved to take it, but already had so much. I made sure to take a picture of it before it went to it's new home. The front yard at Grandma's house during the estate sale... Bug and Aunt MJ (aka "Don't-mess-with-me-that-is-the-price-and-don't-ask-again" cashier) Bug goofin' around with a magnifying glass she found on one of the "for sale" tables...she thought it was neat to "shop" at Grandma Polly's house...

On Saturday, while still at the estate sale, DH called to say there was a showing of our house already. Awesome! Since then we have had 6 showings, and it has only been on the market since Friday. Two showings have been repeats, so there must be some interest in the house. We are hoping...

While visiting my parents, Bug had a lot of playtime with her cousins, so that was nice. LM stayed with me, and had so many comments from people attending the estate sale, about how good he was. He was such a good boy--sat in his high chair and ate so nicely, didn't fling food everywhere, and didn't even melt down when it was nap time.
Bug and KM playing in the leaves on Grandma's deck KM, Bug, and HoHo at KM's house Two cute kiddos... Here is my sister...and soon to be Baby Rowan Kristene. I make her let me take a belly shot every time I see her. She looks pretty darn good. She has only gained 15lbs so far, and she is due the end of July.

I was humbled by the treasures my Mom sent me home with. Here are their stories:
This ring is to be Bug's when she gets older. It was my Grandma's wedding ring. It has diamonds from both of her husbands. It went straight to the safety deposit box Monday morning. Bug keeps wondering...."Momma, what happen my ring...?" I also got a wedding ring that was Bug's Great-Great Grandma's (I forgot to take a picture), and that too has a new home in the safe deposit box.
This was the nativity set that sat in my Grandparents house. As kids, my Mom and her brothers, used to, as my Uncle John said..."We used to slide Jesus down the roof of the stable..." Must be why poor Jesus looks like this:
They said for as long as they can remember, the nativity sat on the top shelf of the secretary desk, that now sits in my house. You can be sure that the nativity will be in it's rightful place this Christmas.
This is my Great Grandmother's wedding day, the dress then (above)...and the wedding dress today. They were married in 1904. This dress has 9 pieces to it, 10 if you count the veil.There are three separate skirts. We are missing one of the gloves though. I asked my mom after looking at the dress how little Gr-Grandma was. I swear that Bug couldn't wear the glove, it is that tiny. My Mom said she barely broke 100lbs, and was about 4'9. Holy cow. I have already ordered a acid free box from the dry cleaners. I checked on the Smithsonian website on how to store articles like this, and I will be wrapping each peace in a cotton sheet and storing it in the box--as soon as the box comes.
Lace detail on the dress....My Mom thinks the dress was handmade.
This is the "Little red dress" that Grandma Polly wore "every day for a year in second grade, except for the weekends...On the weekends, it got washed (in her own words)." It was the depression, and they barely had a bucket to...well you know, go to the bathroom in. I am going to try the dress on Bug, just haven't gotten a chance yet...
This picture hung on the wall in my Great-Grandmother's (then my Grandma's) house. As a kid, when I would spend the night at Grandma's house, I would look to the wall and see this picture hanging there, as she would read me a book and we would say our prayers. My Grandma always said how she loved this picture.

And last but not least, the prized "stool". This stool was fought over so much when I was growing up, it was ridiculous. As kids, the four of us would fight over who would get to sit on this at any holiday meal, that was always held at Grandma's house. I don't know yet the story behind this stool, but I have always loved it. The hat on top of the stool, was worn by my Grandma when married for the second time (after being widowed very young) in 1963. I think I am going to take some of the real old things and have Bug's picture taken with them. Maybe the hat and a couple of the less damaged pieces of the wedding dress (just to be sat in the background, not worn!). Haven't figured out how I will do that just yet, but it would be neat to have the picture for her children and grandchildren.

Just remember, everyone and everything has a story...preserve those things for future generations. They are priceless.

No comments: